Sunday, January 10, 2016

Cliche Green Smoothie Recipe

Green Smoothie
Stock Image
Green smoothies are all the rage. We are seeing them everywhere. Magazines and TV shows are touting how good they are. But, that green color looks scary and off putting, Who in their right mind would drink something that looks like that?

Answer: My toddler! 

Yeah, green smoothies look nasty and are the very cliche 'in' thing to drink right now. However, there is a reason why people are really trying to push them. It's because they are a great way for you to get some fruits and veggies in your diet. Or, in my case, my toddler's diet. 

Richard is a very picky eater. He gets it from me. He will not eat meat...or anything that isn't beans, mashed potatoes, corn, or a peanut butter sandwich. I sat down with this green concoction yesterday and he almost drank the whole thing! Yay! 

Now, the cool thing about smoothies is that you can experiment with a lot of things and figure out what you like best. My base smoothie recipe will always start out with a banana and an apple. 

Here is what I put in my green smoothie yesterday:

1 Peeled Cucumber
1 Green Apple
1 Banana
1 Handful of Uncooked Spinach and Kale
1/2 cup of Coconut Water
1 Teaspoon of Chia Seeds
Juice from 1 Lemon

I cut everything up, put in all in a blender, and let it blend on high for a few minutes. The juice from the lemon really sets it off and brightens the smoothie. Like I said, my toddler loved it! I will definitely need to make it more often so that I can make sure he gets some good stuff in his diet. 

If you've never done a smoothie before, experiment! There are lots of things you can put in that blender! 

You may want to try:

Celery
Pineapple
Aloe 
Kiwi
Parsley
Cilantro
Almond Milk
Honey
Agave

Or, if you're feeling really adventurous, a beet! I know beets are really good for you, but how exactly can you incorporate beets into your diet? I made what I called a pink smoothie! I took a pre-cooked beet that I bought at the grocery store and put it in the blender with a red apple, banana, coconut water, and chia seeds. It tasted pretty good! I would not recommend throwing a beet into your green smoothie...it'll turn it a scary shade of brown and not taste right. 

So, do what everyone else is doing, dig out that blender, and experiment! You'll find a smoothie that I'm sure you'll like! 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing! Will try this one out soon! Happy Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to work in those veggies! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been loving green smoothies lately. Once I took the plunge I couldn't look back!!

    ReplyDelete