Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts- Book Review



I know that I haven't written a post in a while. Funny enough, I am trapped in my house thanks to the Blizzard of 2016 that dumped 40 inches of snow in my area, and I've been off from work for the past few days. One would think that I would do nothing but write, but I've been spending the time with my son, who doesn't like to see me write. I've been forced into the kitchen where I am surrounded by dirty dishes to get this post written. Gotta improvise, right?

A few weeks ago I reviewed The Next Always by Nora Roberts which is the first book in the Inn Boonsboro series. It was a pretty good book. I was intrigued enough to continue on with the next book, The Last Boyfriend.

I'm basically gonna give it the same review that I gave the first one. It's pretty good. Not the best, not the worst.

In it, we move on to the next Montgomery brother, Owen, who discovers that he has feeling for Avery, the pizza shop owner. She has feelings for him too, but they are both rather anal attentive and plan for everything...even when they should have sex for the first time (so much for spontaneity).

I won't give the whole plot away, but I will say that like the first book, the characters are pretty one dimensional, though they do have some moments when they break out of their little box and you can connect with them. I do think that the whole 'three brothers that fall in love with three best friends' is a little cliché, but it can make for decent mindless reading.

If you are in the mood for some light reading, then I would recommend this book, as long as you've read the first one. These books must be read in order to fully understand the characters and the sequence of events.

Even though I classify these books as 'mindless' or 'light reading' (And I don't mean that as an insult. Sometimes the brain needs some light entertainment to wind down.), I have been inspired by Nora Roberts to start writing again. These books have sparked a plot in my mind that I am forming and hoping to write in a novel of my own. I'll keep you posted on the progress, but right now it is in the very early stages of planning.

I will be moving on to the last book in the series, The Perfect Hope, when I get enough money to purchase it (Gotta stick to the budget!). Yeah, I know I can borrow it from the library, but I purchased the first two books from a local bookstore, so I want to get the third one from the same place. Keep these copies for myself and support a local business while I am at it.

***Just FYI- There are instances of pre-marital sex in the book, but they are not extremely graphic.***


3 comments:

  1. I read the first in the series and enjoyed it. Like you said, it's a light read, good for the days when you just need to escape into a story. I love the theme of the inn and that's definitely something that makes me want to return to this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently sitting on my iPad ready to read

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this book, but why not? I'm into some light reading, although I may want to check out the first book first since I haven't heard of the series.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete