Friday, November 13, 2015

The Jane Austen Book Club- Review


I have been dying to read a good book. One that can keep me enthralled from beginning to end. I have had a very difficult time finding good books, so I always end up reading either Sense and Sensibility or Persuasion by Jane Austen, even though I've read them both almost a hundred times. I decided to take a chance a purchase The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler from Amazon. The reason I purchased the book was because I was unable to find it in my local library. 

Yes, I read the reviews on Amazon and on Goodreads and noticed that most people did not care for it, but after all, it's about Jane Austen and I love Jane Austen, so how bad can it really be? Also, I did rather enjoy the movie, and books are always better than the movie, right? 

Not in this case.

It was disappointment from page one. Since I had already seen the movie I was familiar with the premise of the story; four women and one man basically identifying with the characters in the Jane Austen books that they were reading. It's a cute story idea!

However, the author's writing style seriously inhibits you from connecting with the characters. Some scenes are very descriptive, which is nice, but she jumps around too much for my liking. One moment we'll be in a book group scene and the very next will be a flash back of some childhood memory, and then we'll return to the book group. Also, it kept jumping from first person to third person narrative and there were time that I could not tell who was telling the story.

To me, it gave a very disconnected feeling that was just way too distracting.

I should have paid attention to the reviews and not wasted my time. Needless to say, this will be donated to my local library because I don't want it cluttering up my house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment